What is a Cloud Native Software Engineer and How to Become One
Cloud Native Software Engineer
Being familiar with just the basics of Software Engineering is not enough to thrive in today’s software development market therefore it is necessary that Software Engineers develop deep knowledge of cloud platforms than they currently do.
In this article, we are going to discuss what a Cloud Native Software Engineer is, why they exist, what their skills are and how to become one.
So by the end of this article you should know exactly what a CNE is expected to be and do in his line of job.
What is Cloud Native?
For the purpose of learning, it is important that we start by defining and clarifying what cloud native is.
Cloud native is simply the concept of building and running applications to take advantage of the distributed computing offered by the cloud delivery model. This means that Cloud native applications are designed and built to exploit the scale, elasticity, resiliency, and flexibility the cloud provides.
Cloud native computing is an approach in software engineering that utilizes cloud computing to build and run scalable applications in modern, dynamic environments such as public, private, and hybrid clouds.
Benefits of Cloud Native Applications
- Zero Downtime
Now that we know the meaning and benefits of cloud native applications, lets proceed to the topic of today which is what cloud native software engineering is and who is a CNE.
Who is a Cloud Native Software Engineer (CNE)?
Cloud-Native software engineering is a model of building monolithic software applications that focuses on creating applications that leverage cloud platform services for maximum efficiency. These applications are built independent from any underlying architecture and are engineered to benefit from a cloud-native architecture.
A cloud native software engineer is therefore someone that possess software development skills such as writing code, testing, design, architecture, etc and can do the following:
- Design, implement, validate and deliver cloud-native microservices for a highly-scalable cloud-native SaaS platform
- Play an important role in developing the next generation of our Data Platform, and help us in our journey to become a cloud-only company
- Participate in all stages of software development and collaborate with different teams, from ideation to final delivery
- Maintain high code quality standards and improve best practices.
How to become a Cloud Native Software Engineer
Cloud native engineers require technical skills to perform the migration, as well as the personal skills to negotiate terms with vendors, ensure security of the data, and implement best practices throughout the process.
To become a CNE, you must have these some technical and personal skills.
- Background in development and/or operations.
- An understanding of best practices and patterns in software development.
- Experience with CI/CD
- Infrastructure provisioning.
- Experience in either public or private cloud.
- Understanding and exposure to Kubernetes.
- Good knowledge for at least two of the following: Go, Python, Java, NodeJS
- A good understanding of code versioning tools
- Problem solving
- Knowledge driven
- Willingness to help
- Interpersonal skills
Cloud Native Software Engineer Salary
The estimated total salary for a CNE is about $109,604 per year in the United States with an average salary of $94,222 per annum according to Glassdoor